The Ambrose School is centrally located at the corner of Boise, Meridian, and Eagle city limits – just three miles from the population center of the Boise Valley. Our facility is just to the south of Chinden Road, one mile west of Eagle Road on Locust Grove. We are in close proximity to many residential neighborhoods with Bristol Heights and Hobble Creek directly to the east, Banbury and Castlebury to our north, and numerous North Meridian developments to our west and south including Paramount, The Reserve, and Saguaro Canyon.
Our 43,000 square foot facility was completed in 2009. As you enter our school facility, you will notice something different. We invite students into an environment that supports learning in the classical Christian tradition.
The facility was designed in the Tudor architectural tradition of excellent academic institutions and includes:
- 25 classrooms including a science lab, a rhetoric room, an art room, and music room.
- A library (with a full computer lab) as the centerpiece for the main facility.
- Each room has state of the art technology including in-room audio, a large-screen LCD display, video, computer, and internet connectivity.
- Sporting facilities including a regulation soccer/football field, outdoor and indoor basketball, and a gymnasium with two regulation basketball and volleyball courts.
- For our parents, staff, alumni, and juniors and seniors, a gathering room with a coffee bar, tables, couches, and even a fireplace.
- Future phases include a music center, cafeteria, second jr. high gym, and performing arts center.
Our facility is a reflection of our values. It shows on the outside what our school has been doing on the inside for more than a decade– producing students with exceptional maturity and understanding, and an ability to think and articulate well, all with a Christian worldview.
Between 1209 and 1257, the scholastic age gave birth to the universities of Paris, Oxford, and Cambridge. The Christian church brought all ideas into unity under Christ in these early educational institutions. This was the golden age of classical Christian education.
The campuses of these institutions are dominated by Tudor architecture (1485-1603). Because of this, Tudor architecture and excellent academic institutions are synonymous. Our building was designed to represent this connection with our classical Christian roots.
Our building has several “embedded” buildings with pitched roofs connected by parapet walls and towers. As early universities would grow, individual “halls” would be joined together by walls for security and to make use of limited space. The gothic windows may give the feel of a church, but are actually a common style in academic buildings of the Tudor era. Because of this, Tudor architecture had very high, narrow rooms, like our entryway, directing the souls of students to rise above everyday concerns to pursue the ideals of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty.
Tudor buildings were made of stone, which was often stuccoed on the outside and clad with wood paneling on the inside for beauty and warmth. Oak was a common material, which also dominates our interior space. Heavy beams and coffering as seen in our library provided weight and solemnity to the academic setting. Wrought iron, rugged and strong, provided both decoration and function as it does in this building.
We believe that, as God’s image bearers, children benefit from an environment that lifts them to greater heights. Square block buildings are functional, but not beautiful. Adults and children alike notice the difference.
We appreciate the creative efforts of Wayne Thowless at LKV Architects for his inspired work on this facility and Jesse and LeaAnn Ferrer for their effort in crafting this place of learning.